20 November 2011

My Bucket List

It's getting on to that time of year again. And lately, it seems that this time of year, when I'm introspective, I once again come to the conclusion that I am not all that happy with the life I am living. I have a faithful and kind husband, I have three healthy and relatively happy children, a job I love, relatively good health (barring the cancer ordeal I am currently undergoing - which I am happy to say is almost done), a beautiful home in a beautiful city, and parents and sister with whom I am close. So, why is it that every year I feel I'm missing something? That my life could be better? Happier?

Did I settle? At times I think so. I settled when there was better out there. Settled for what, you ask? Settled for a life that isn't really all that fun or active. And by active I mean experiencing different experiences, going different places, or going no place but meeting and enjoying people who challenge me intellectually and physically. Is it too much to say I want more out of my life? I expect more?

Here I am, just turned 49 years young and I want more out of my life. So, for the first time in my life, I am making a bucket list. And somehow, through the grace of God, I intend to accomplish all of these before I die. Here we go (not necessarily in order):
  • Travel Great Britain
    • London, Bath, Dublin, Edinburgh
  • Visit the Louvre in Paris, France
  • Visit to the Smithsonian
    • National History Museum
    • Freer Gallery of Art
    • American Indian Museum
  • Visit to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City
  • See a Broadway show in New York City
  • Visit Alaska
  • Move to the Dallas Metroplex
  • Write and publish a book (fiction)
  • Have at least one article published in a national magazine
  • Meet the following folks in person and have a one-on-one personal conversation (not to be published, shared, etc. Just for me).
    • Kristen Stewart (actress)
    • Antonio Banderas (actor)
    • Barack Obama (current president)
    • Samantha Ronson (DJ)
    • Elizabeth George (Inspector Lynley author)
    • Charles Swindoll (pastor)
That is all I can think of for now, but it already challenging. I will add on to it as I think of it. And I will mark items off as I accomplish them. But for now, suffice it to say, I've still got a lot to live for, and it is time to work on my Bucket List!

No comments: