06 November 2011

Birthdays, Homecomings, Dog Bites, Oh My!

I've been posting on my other blog about my experiences with cancer. Today, I am not really in a 'cancer reporting' type of mood. And I am in the mood to write. So, posting here today.

Friday, November 4th, was the 18th birthday of my eldest son., Chris. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CHRIS!!!! Since it was Homecoming weekend at his school, it's been difficult to find a time to plan a family celebration. And get this; Chris didn't even want to celebrate at a restaurant! Of my children, he is the most considerate. That, I will not deny. He knows it's difficult for me to get around and money is tight, but that's no excuse. He's 18! He gets to celebrate! So, in accordance with his wishes, I am making River Hash, rolls, and salad for dinner tonight. And naturally, we have a birthday cake. I'll share the River Hash recipe at the bottom of this post.

Friday night he was going to see Harald and Kumar but ended up staying at home. He's not really into football and wasn't interested in going to the homecoming game. Then yesterday he took two, yes two, girls to the Homecoming Dance. Both of them are named Alexx. Picture is below.  Isn't my baby such a stud muffin? I think so! They went to dinner at Outback Steakhouse and enjoyed the dance till around midnight.

Tonight we get to celebrate his birthday with a family dinner. Even Cassie is coming for dinner! And speaking of Cassie...

Dog-bit again. Back in January she was attacked by a dog while defending her girlfriend. The dog, a pitbull, did some pretty serious damage though Cassie opted out of seeing the doctor. This week, one of her roommates brought a stray into the apartment which is already occupied by a dog. Well, the stray and the homey took issue with each other, and Cassie and one of her roomies tried to break up the fight. Cassie got the bum end of the deal. Her right arm is covered with deep scratches, and some puncture wounds from where the stray got a hold of her. And her right leg? The stray got a good grip on that leg and you can clearly see the bite marks, many of which were puncture wounds. So, off to Solantic, and a tetanus shot and several stitches later she was on her way back home. The stray? Is impounded and under observation. Hopefully, very hopefully, Cassie won't have to undergo the Rabies series. We should know within the week. Cassie and dogs. They don't get along.

As for me? I'm still house-bound. Still working part-time from home. I've got 2nd and 3rd degree burns on my leg, and I am not allowed in the workplace until they heal. That said, I'm flexing all the time to keep the scar tissue at bay. Which is painful. Very painful. So, no walks with the dog. The leg can't handle it right now. And as an emotional eater, I'm just not ready to start Weight Watcher's. My emotions are everywhere right now. On the plus side? I am thankful I have my family (immediate and extended), my job, a wonderful boss, books, and plenty to keep me busy while sedentary.

What I'm looking forward to right now is movie #4 of the Twilight Saga. Yup! I'm one of those Twilight junkies. And I'm going to the midnight showing! With Cassie and her girlfriend! Can't wait! And a month later? The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo!

River Hash
1 lb. hamburger meat
1 package crispy crowns tater tots
1 can Mushroom Soup
1 can (use the Mushroom soup can) milk
1 onion
Lawry's Seasoning Salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray 13x9 pan with Pam. Lay tater tots evenly in bottom of pan.

Chop onion. Saute onion, hamburger meat, and Lawry's salt in large frying pan until meat is cooked through. Add Mushroom soup and milk and mix till well blended.

Pour meat mixture on top of tater tots. Cover pan with aluminum foil. Cook in oven for 1 hour. Uncover pan and cook an additional 10 minutes.

Let sit for 15 minutes.

Hint: I typically cook Pillsbury crescent rolls as soon as I take the River Hash out of the oven. When the rolls are done, the River Hash is rested.

Hint 2: Serve with salad.

Awesome meal!

Chris and his Alexx Angels

No comments: