11 September 2012

How Do You Remember?

Where were you 11 years ago? Do you remember when you heard about the attacks? The hijackings? Do you remember what raced through your mind? Can you remember the events of September 11, 2001 without some modicum of emotion passing through your brain?

September 11, 2001. That day is indelibly imprinted in the minds of millions of people the world over. And it was observed most notably in the United States of America with moments of silence at key points in time of that day. Flags were at half-mast. And services were held in NYC, Washington DC and Pennsylvania.

Ever year, on this day, I wonder why it is not declared a day of remembrance. A day where, like Independence Day, Labor Day, and Thanksgiving, businesses, government, and schools shut down commemorate the day. Then, as I look back on what I just wrote, I realize that these holidays are happy days of remembrance. Today is not one such day. Or is it? For on September 11, 2001, heroic actions such as should be written in songs of old saved many more people than were lost. And the actions of the few brought 90 nations together in solidarity.

For me, this September 11 was busy supporting a client. Writing JCL and running scans on the fly. And my first break in the day came around 2:30PM, well past the moments of rememberence of the morning. As I was eating my late lunch, I browsed some news websites and read the articles. And it was just as emotional as it was 11 years ago.

Movies have been made of the events of September 11 and of the fallout from September 11. To date, I have not watched one. Books, also have been written by survivors, families, and others. I also have not read any of these books. Nor do I intend to watch or read any of these. September 11 is sacrosanct. I want my memories to be as they are and not be impinged upon.

I remember the day, watching the planes flying into the World Trade Centers live on television, thinking the world as I knew it was turned topsy-turvy. I was terrified for my children - what kind of world had I borne them into? Talking to them, then aged 7 and 9, was difficult. We tried as much as possible for the days to go as normally as possible. And we adhered to the adage, just answer the question and offer no more information.

I remember, too, the first six months after the attacks. Traffic disputes were at an all-time low, people were substantially kinder, we were all more patient too. Nowadays, even with the many security precautions, life is fairly normal. I never complain when I have to wait in the security line at the airport. And I gladly allow security to search my bags at all venues. It is the price we pay for safety.

Today, I read the articles about the different memorials of September 11, 2001 were commemorated. And tears followed. They always do. And in signing off on this day of rememberance, I am sharing a link of photographs of some of the lesser known rescuers, the rescue and recovery dogs. Take a moment and browse the photos. What a poignant reminder of the bond betweem man and animal in what can be the worst of times.

http://www.dogheroesof911.com/photoslide.htm

No comments: