28 December 2011

Movies - Love 'm or Like 'm

This holiday I have taken the opportunity to indulge in one of my pleasures; going to the movies. It is rare that I go to the movies. Time, money, and lack of a good story. But I do try to take my youngest to a children's movie at least two to three times a year. And my daughter and I happen to have the same taste in movies and books so we often go to movie openings - at my expense of course.

This holiday was no different. DD and I went to The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn. DD ad I have much of the same tastes in movies and books. And the Twilight Saga is one of our guilty pleasures. There is something about love at first sight, endless love, all-consuming passion, etc. that really melts a girl. The stories are all what we wish for but know will never truly happen. Well, at least I do.

Then I took Gabe to see Alvin and the Chipmunks. Hmmm. It was...interesting. Gabe was into the movie until the last 10 minutes. Then he wanted to play with my iPod. The music was good though. I just wonder how the actors feel being second wheels to non-existent computer animated chipmunks. Not only that but the actors who lend their voices as the chipmunks are entirely unrecognizable. So, you only know who voiced who by watching the credits. Then you're like, Justin Long voiced Alvin??? Wow. How'd they change his voice? And did he do his own singing?

DH surprised me. He rarely goes to the movies. I think the last movie he went to was "The Sixth Sense" and he figured it out about 30 minutes into the movie. So that was a dud. Anyway, DH actually surprised me and went to no only one, but two movies with me. We went to see the latest Sherlock Holmes movie a few weeks back. I primarily wanted to see it as it stars Noomi Rapace, the actress who starred in the Swedish version of The Millenium Trilogy. I enjoyed the movie. But it was funny, midway through the movie a man down our row fell asleep and snored through about 40 minutes. I didn't find out until after the movie that DH is not a Robert Downey, Jr. fan. So, it was very considerate of him to go to the movie with me.

And tonight. Tonight, the crowning glory. The U.S. version of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. I've been seriously wanting to see it. But since my full-time return to work it's been difficult. I get tired easily and can only do so much a day. I was supposed to go with DD and her girlfriend, a friend of mine and her niece and girlfriend, but the schedules just weren't working out. So, I was surprised when DH offered to go with me. I guess I've been talking about it a bit much around the house.

Anyway, we went tonight. And I was hooked from the very beginning of the starting credits. I am in love with David Fincher and Rooney Mara. David Fincher for directing a masterpiece, and Rooney Mara for embodying Lisbeth Salander body and soul. I have to say the U.S. version is better than the Swedish version. And it stays truer to the book. I LOVED the movie! And I can't wait until the next part of the trilogy. I will probably watch Dragon Tattoo at least two or three more times. It was that good. I will warn you. It's long, and there are a few scenes of extreme violence. But the story line and the subplots were well put together. And the action does not slow down. At. All. Sweden is now on my bucket list as a country to visit.

What next? Well, there's Underworld, The Awakening in February. DD and I go to those movies together too. And David Fincher, if you're out there reading this. Thank you. I thought I was afraid I was a bit too far to the left for enjoying movies in which the subject matter might be unpleasant. I totally get your style and I do enjoy it. And Rooney Mara? Dayum, you're good! You gave Lisbeth a vulnerability while keeping her isolated and hard.

No comments: