25 February 2007

Help! I'm in diet he**!

I am proud to write that after two weeks of diet and exercise I lost 3.5 pounds and .5 inch off my waist, thigh, and hips. That was enough to fit into a pair of jeans I bought last year! I am not so proud to write that this third week was off the charts. Girl Scout cookies beckoned. And much as I tried to resist, I just couldn't. So, I gained about a 1 to 1.5 pounds. Ugh. Especially since I can actually see results. I'm so afraid I'll keep backtracking!

It's exhilarating to lose weight and get thinner (when one is so big). But at the same time, it's scary. I'm so used to wearing a certain size and having my clothes fit a certain way. And now, those clothes are baggy, and they're not fitting very well. So, while I like that they're bigger, I don't like that they emphasize my size by making me look sloppy. And I don't want to buy more clothes because I don't intend on wearing them long as I want to lose more weight.

It's like a catch-22. Ugh!

So, next week - let's try again. What derailed me this week was Girl Scout cookies and bread. So, next week it's veggies and fruit and as little processed grain as possible. And lots of water. I need to cut back on the diet cokes too, but they help suppress my appetite. I drink between 3 and 7 a day. Even just the 3 a day is too much, but I sure do like them.

What also derailed me this week was an increasing metabolism. At least I think that what it was. The last few days I would eat and just 1.5 hours later I'd be hungry again. I'm like hungry all the time. I try to eat right, but it goes straight through me. It helps some when I drink water, but that lasts only a few minutes.

I so want to get in shape! I go to the gym at least 3 days a week, and I try to get a brisk 2 mile walk at least 1 or 2 days a week. And I don't mind any of that. I actually look forward to it, which is something I've never looked forward to in my entire life. It's the eating and presence of any type of food that is keeping my progress down. I've started a diet log where I write (almost) everything that I've had and tabulate the calorie counts. My goal is a maximum of 1500 calories a day. This is based on feedback from a personal trainer I used for 6 months. (It's more expensive than I can afford at this time. Otherwise, I'd still be using her.) It's very difficult for me to keep below 1700 calories, so I'm still working on this. I'd say this is my biggest challenge. That and the "I am due" mentality that hits me every weekend.

One of my new year's resolutions is to lose 25 lbs. So far I've lost 4 pounds. I've got 21 lbs and 10 months to go. So, I've got to improve my will power and self control! Help!

No comments: