09 February 2007

Beading a Bracelet

"It's Friday night and I ain't nobody. I got some money cause I just got paid. and now I wish I had someone to talk to, la la la la la la la la" - I can't remember the rest of the words. It's an old song. I can't even remember who wrote/sang it. I keep hearing it in my head, though. It might have been Cat Stevens, or whatever he's known as now.

I don't know why I'm starting tonight off with that. I just am. I'm beading a bracelet off a pattern I found in the August 2006 edition of Bead and Button magazine. It's just an embellishment off a ladder stitch. It's so easy! I love the colors I'm using; pearl, champagne pink, red wine, beige, It looks so rich. So far I've completed 2 bracelets. I've done the third, all but the fastenings. And I'm almost done with a fourth. The only reason I've not finished the third is because that's actually my first. I used a double strand of Nymo D thread. While I was happy with the outcome, I thought I needed to use something sturdier. I don't want the bracelet to break like some of my earlier creations.

So, I bought some Charcoal Fireline (4lb) from the bead shop (The Bead Hawk). I used a different variation on the colors, and while I liked that one, too, I wasn't all that thrilled about the Charcoal color of the Fireline. The color can be seen through the beads as they are not opaque. So, while I finished that bracelet off, I went searching on the web for the Crystal Fireline. I'd already looked in my local stores - Walmart, Jo-Anne's, sports and fishing stores, etc. But all I could find was 6lb Fireline. While I'm willing to bet this thickness is still good for beading, I wanted to stick to 4lb Fireline. I finally found Crystal Fireline on eBay (Beadaholique is the vendor). Very reasonably priced, too. So, the 3rd bracelet was done using the Crystal Fireline. Yup, that's the ticket! Now I'm thinking about undoing the first bracelet and redoing it using the Crystal Fireline. I probably will.

What I'm hoping to do is to make enough of an inventory of several different items that I can display them at work around Christmas. It would be nice to have some gratification outside of the house. We'll see.

Well, I'm going for now. It's late, and I'm tired. Night.

No comments: