11 January 2007

Gabriel's Gifts

Can you believe that almost two weeks have already passed in the new year! The children started back to school on Monday, and they already have days off! Friday for Teacher Planning Day, and Monday for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. I wish I had that kind of schedule!

Gabriel seems to have started back to preschool fairly well. It's funny. When Chris was 3 years old, it didn't seem to matter whether he had naps or not. Gabe definately needs them! Half of the time he falls asleep either coming home or right after getting home (between 5:30 and 6:30) and stays asleep till the morning. Poor child! His schedule is up by 7:00, to daycare no later than 7:30, get the bus to school which starts at 8:30, on the bus at 1:30, back to the daycare by 2:30, and home around 6:00. The preschool only has 15 minutes of quiet time, no nap. And when Gabe gets back to the daycare, the other children have already had their naps. And Gabriel doesn't want to sleep when they're playing. So this is a bit of an adjustment for him - and us.

Gabriel seems to be babbling more, and yesterday he babbled to me as though we were having a conversation. Tonight, when I was putting him to bed, he actually hummed a bit. That was the first time I'd heard him hum.

At school, he is learning how to use PECS to communicate. At a high level, it's a notebook that contains sheets with pictures velcroed to them. The pictures are of things, foods, actions, etc. that Gabriel may want to eat, use, or do. The basic premise of PECS is that when Gabriel wants something, he gets the picture and gives it to the person he's 'talking' to. That person states what the picture is and uses it in a sentence, and then Gabe gets the item. This method not only provides a means of communication, but it also promotes verbal communication - at least that's what I've read, what my ESE teacher friend has researched, and what the documentation says. Hey. I'll try anything! My only concern is that it relies on the use of an item or items (notebook, pictures, etc.). I think about the consistency or lack thereof outside of school.

At home, Gabriel is learning sign language. Have I mentioned that in a previous entry? I don't know. Anyway, he knows cracker, drink, movie, please, and thank you very well. He can use these signs without prompting. He knows book and all done, but ya have to prompt him to use them. We are in the process of learning come, want, make, pancake, and help. Everyone in the family uses the signs when talking to Gabriel, and we always reinforce by repeating the word.

It does take some time for Gabriel to learn the signs. His fine motor skills are a bit weak, but with time, the process of signing will help his fine motor skills. You have to repeat the sign hand-on-hand several times over several days. And praise him every time he tries or makes the sign, whether he did it with prompting, help, or whatever.

Gabriel speaks one word very clearly. Can we guess what word that is? "NO" And he emphasizes it by shaking his head from side to side. So, we always know when there's something he doesn't like or want.

Gabriel is my miracle. I thank God for him every day. It was a sacrifice bringing him into this world; my selfish sacrifice. But I know Gabriel teaches me something new every day. His disabilities are his gifts to us all.

No comments: