21 November 2009

The true "New Moon"

The second movie of the Twilight series, New Moon, was released this weekend. Millions around the world went to see it. Critics panned the movie; the series in fact. The vast majority of the moviegoers loved it.

I've been pondering just what is it that keeps so many people, rather women ranging in age from 10 through 99, so entranced with the books and the movies. I have to admit that I, too, can be counted among those millions. And I've come up with a theory. One that the more I consider it, the more I really do believe is fact - at least for me.

The Twilight series is an otherworldly take of Shakespeare's tragic love story Romeo and Juliet. Edward is Romeo, the prince of Vampires while Bella is Juliet, the princess of Humans. Just by their very nature they are doomed in their love. Vampires and Humans are, and always have been, mortal enemies. Yet they have a love that bridges the taboos of their respective worlds. Why is that? My take? They are soul mates - which in and of itself, answers the question that meanders throught the series; do vampires have souls? Well, they've got to! Edward is bound by something even more powerful than the vampire and human worlds can break, and that is his soul can only be completed with his perfect mate - Bella. And Bella is human. Which funnily enough, answers a very human, and age old, question, do humans have souls? Again, they've got to! Because Bella can only be completed - whole - when she is with Edward.

The difference between the Twilight series and Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet is that Edward and Bella's ending is happy. They manage to bridge the chasm separating them and their worlds, and in the process, they merge the worlds together (let's not argue that point when we read the 4th book of the series and find out that biworldly folks have existed for eons).

As we all know, Romeo and Juliet is one of the most romantic stories in existence. And my I be bold enough to say that the Twilight series ranks among them. Women love romance, and Twilight is filled with it. And that is why I think the books and the movies are so popular. They fill a feminine need to be loved unconditionally, protected unconditionally, wanted (at all times) unconditionally, protected unconditionally.

In the real world, our significant others love us, but it's just not the same.
  • When we have fights it's for less noble selfish reasons. Edward's reasons for getting angry at Bella are because she won't keep herself out of harm's way. In my world, my husband gets angry at me for forgetting to pay a bill.
  • We get tired of being with our significant others - they get on our nerves. Bella and Edward can't get enough of being in each other's presence. They never tire of just being together for the sake of being together.
  • Occasionally, we tell each other we love each other, even when we don't mean it. Edward and Bella mean it when they say it - always.
  • Often, we are on our own when life gets difficult. When I'm shopping and I'm confronted by a difficult situation, my husband isn't going to drop everything to come to my rescue. Edward lives to rescue Bella. She is is first and only agenda.
In short, Edward's and Bella's relation is the relationship many, of not all women, long for. A man (or woman) to put me and my happiness at the zenith of his (or her) existence.  Were I to have a man like that loving me, you betcha I'd be loving him back just as passionately!

But instead, I am married to a man who puts softball above my needs and wants. That said, I seriously doubt he's my soul mate. Doubt? Know! Is there a soul mate somewhere in the world for me? I hope so! A love even fractionally similar to that of the fictional characters Edward and Bella is worth pursuing. And pursuing I am!

No comments: