14 November 2009

Back in the saddle!

It's been a few years now since I last posted. Life got in the way. It is still crazy like before, it is just I am more in need of an an outlet for all the, hmmm, stuff that is comprising my life right now. Not that it will all be like diary entries. I am hoping for some fun stuff like links to beading related topics, book and movie reviews, and more.

So, what should today's topic be? High School Seniors!

Do you know how expensive a graduating senior can be? Here, let me tell you what we are shelling out so far (and it's only 3 months into the school year!)

Now we're not spending money like it's water. We can't! We're barely able to pay our bills, and sometimes not. So, here we go...
1. Senior Year Pictures - $450
2. Announcements and class ring - $575
3. Senior Package (includes senior trip, tshirt, hoodie, entry to all the dances, yearbook, bonfire, etc.) - $400

So far that comes to $1,425.

Add a school-sponsored (foreign language dept) trip to Madrid, Spain, Paris, France, and London, England during Spring break to the tune of $2,000 and we're now at $3,425. The passport costs $120 plus spending money of around $700 and we're up to $4,245.

And guess when it all needs to be paid? All of these need to be paid in full by February - 4 months from now. And Christmas is smack in the middle of all this!

Some may say we're indulging our daughter. But other than the trip to Europe, we're actually spending less than many families. The trip to Europe was planned a year ago, and while it's a hardship to finance, it is an excellent incentive for our daughter to 1) keep her grades up and 2) stay out of trouble. So, just for that it is definately worth the cost. If I can drum up the money.

And somehow I will. I'm in the running for a second job. Not my favorite option, but it will help. And it would only be for a year, if that. What bothers me most about all this is that it will take time away from my youngest son. Well, that and that my husband is not at all interested in getting a second job. Some resentment on my part is natural, and that is but a symptom of why the next chapter of my life will be significantly different in the next year or so. But right now, I'm going to do what I have to do for my children.

So, if you have a high school senior, start planning! And I look forward to sharing our experiences through the first of three senior years.

Ciao for now!

No comments: